Sunday, January 24, 2010

Seven Steps in the Life Cycle of a Green Product

After discussing the life cycle of green products in class, I have been very interested in looking further into what makes a a product "green." At first I thought it was what the given product was made up of, but as looked into it I saw that it is so much more. One article I came across went in detail as to what really makes up a green product, and what I found is so much more than I would ever think of. The article is called "Seven Steps in the Life Cycle of a Green Product."



A green product is more than what it is made up of, but how it is produced, how it integrates into our lifes, and how it will reduce the carbon footprint of not just the manufacturer, but in its users as well. The article discusses the "seven steps" that go into green products. From innovation and design, to how it will "avoid the landfill." I found each step of the process to be more than just a blueprint on how to make a green product, but a blueprint on how to think differantly in creating products in general. Today, I believe a lot of people are simply creating products with their eye out to the present. "how can we reduce emissions in production?" "How can we make a product with better, reusable materials?" Don't get me wrong, all of these questions are very important to ask and are a very important step to take, but we need to think about how a product will change those who use it. The future isn't a world filled with green products, it's a world filled with green people.

No comments:

Post a Comment